Friday, February 09, 2007

Goodies!

Here's my Valentine present. My husband said I couldn't open it until Valentine's Day, but I had to see it and take pictures, right? And I also had to do an allergy test (which I'll explain in a minute). All of it is from Sheri at The Loopy Ewe.
Shaefer Anne in Raspberry Mocha and J-Knits in Tampa:

And Apple Laine in Blueberry (I don't have much blue in the stash):


Now, the Shaeffer and the Apple Laine have mohair content. I have a minor sinus allergy to mohair. I know I can probably never spin it or knit with 100% mohair (and I always take an allergy pill before sheep and wool festivals/shows), but I did have to see if the 25% mohair was going to affect me. I had both yarns sitting near my face for a couple of hours yesterday and no breathing problems, so I think I'll be okay. Knitting with it will be the real test. I hope I'm okay with them because the AL and SA colors are so pretty and vibrant. (Although I guess since it doesn't seem to be a life-threatening allergy, just watery eyes and runny nose, I could take allergy pills while knitting it and then it shouldn't be a problem on my feet.)

Sometime in the next couple of weeks, I'll be preparing for my polymer clay button demonstration at my March Knitting Guild meeting. You guys will also benefit as I'll be doing a couple of tutorials on my site as well. I'll probably be breaking it down into making molds and decorating the buttons. You can already see a tutorial on making caned buttons on the sidebar. I love polymer clay; it's great stuff. It's just harder to get all of the related equipment out than for knitting, so I don't play with it as much as I'd like.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the snowman vest is looking good! Almost there, eh?

Your new yarns look so pretty. I love that Shaefer stuff, I have 3 skeins of it in my stash.

Good luck with the allergy! I hope it doesn't bother you too much.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Pretty yarn! I hope the mohair allergy stays pretty minor - there are so many great yarns with a dash of mohair in them...

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The J Knits yarn is very pretty. I may try to sweet talk my husband into letting me buy yarn for Valentines Day. I've been stalking The Loopy Ewe for a while now.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Such pretty yarn! I am very curious to know how well the J Knits yarn knits up, wears, washes, etc. A friend of mine, who machine washes and dries all her socks, had her SA socks shrink but not felt. She also said they lost elasticity after her washing treatment. I don't put my socks in the dryer, so I don't have personal experience.

Thanks for your comment on my pink post! I can't wait to see what you decide to knit with your red silk. My favorite patterns are the wide-bordered scarves in VLT and the hexagon--but then you already have the hexagon.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Nice acquisitions! Enjoy them and your w/e!

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful yarn! I hope you can knit with it ;o)

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the tutorial, I think my niece would absolutely love it.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the yarn score!! I'll be waiting to see the results of the allergy test. :)
Oh and I love polymer clay too!! If you could just come over we could make a big mess together.
kimberly
www.thegivingflower.de

1:48 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Wow, how lucky to have a husband who is so sensitive, and who has good taste as well! Hopefully your allergy doem't turn out like mine - I wouldn't wish that on anybody! (And as it was the yarn was only 61% mohair. All this time I assumed it was like 100%.)

11:44 AM  
Blogger Tonni said...

Beautiful yarn and wonderful hubby for buying you yarn :)

8:03 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Gorgeous yarns. Looks like we were both lucky with gifts this month. :-)

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home