Friday, February 02, 2007

Projects

I'm a project starter. I begin a lot of projects. A lot of times, I'll begin something and just work on it exclusively until I finish. Other times I'll work on several projects at once, usually a pair of socks, a lace project and maybe something else. Other times, I'll start something, get tired of it, start something else, get tired of it, start something else. And I'll end up with seven or more projects in various stages of completion in the sidebar. I don't think I've ever ripped anything never to start again (though Madli was close). I'm usually very selective about my projects and do only what I really, really like. I don't do many sweaters, so there's not the problem of them being out of style by the time I finish them. I make shawls and socks. They are sort of neutral.

I'm also a finisher. When I get too many projects going at a time in various stages of completion, I'll feel an overwhelming need to finish a few of them before starting anything else. Often when I finish one of these finishing cycles, I'll be at a loss as to what to do next because I've finished several things in a row and I don't have anything else to do. I'll usually spin for a couple of days to get my bearings again and decide the next project in the queue.

Right now, I'm on a finishing cycle. I really want to finish the second snowman sweater and the Forest Path. We'll see how long it lasts.

11 Comments:

Blogger vanessa said...

i can't wait to see your forest path finished! that one has been on my to-do list forever.

8:41 AM  
Blogger margene said...

I work the same way. I have too many things on the needles now and decided this morning it was time to finish something!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I'm a finisher myself. It feels great to finish things!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have lost track of how many projects I have started, yet I felt the compulsion the other night to start a new pair of socks. Thing is, I have all this shiny new sock yarn (STR, CTH, All Things Heather, sKNITches, Cy*eye*ber Fiber, etc.). The shiny new sock yarn wants to be knitted. HOWEVER, I have had this lovely skein of CTH (which was marked as "Northern Lights" but appears to be a different colorway) for years. I started a sock in it ages ago but hated it and frogged it. That skein made me feel guilty about forsaking it. It made me start a sock using it.

On the good side, though, I knitted an entire pair of Cascade Fixation socks over the past week AND finished another pair in Fixation that I started two years ago (long story--lost the pattern, then this week I found it for free on the internet!). I get to feel semi-virtuous and semi-guilty at the same time!

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like though you have a plan that works well for you. Can't wait to see where your at on the Forst Path Stole, I'm on row 7 of the first 20 rows. Big accomlishment, no?

12:01 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

I think I work the same way as well. Right now I feel I have too many things on the needles and I'm trying to finish up some things.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I wish I got more of those finishing urges!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Crunchy said...

Oh I think that I want all the patterns you have working, just because they SOUND yummy!
Where can I find your fun little "Project trackers"? I need a few for myself!
You can find me at www.xanga.com/yarnsnob

4:08 PM  
Blogger Knittymama said...

That sounds so familiar to me; especially about the finishing.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Wow, the snowman vest is fabulous and so is the Forest Path. I have two shawls on the needles right now too, and keep myself to one pair of socks at a time with great restraint.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Good luck finishing! I function the same way.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home