Wednesday, December 07, 2005

There's One in Every Crowd

Warning: this post contains very little knitting content.

Currently, my blog is being quite neglected because I am on dial-up. It is amazing how quickly we become accustomed to high-speed. Anyway, I'm visiting family in Georgia, a 13-hour drive which we survived despite the psycho truckers and now I have to survive on dial-up for a week.

A couple of nights ago, we went to an event known as the "Fantasy in Lights" at a local botanical garden. This is a very Christmas event. (It is the Bible belt, after all.) This event consists of scene after scene of snowflakes, flowers, Santa and his elves, three hens holding French flags (think about it), and frogs with Santa hats jumping into ponds, all crafted from Christmas lights, eight million Christmas lights. That figure is not an exaggeration, by the way; that is the figure that was given on the tour. You can either drive your own car through or take the open trolley (with blankets, of course).

And so we come to the "one" in every crowd. You know the one, the obnoxious person who feels the need to comment on everything - the one who must point out that it is cold, the one who points out the big lighted wreath that no sighted person could possibly miss, the one everyone wants to strangle and toss into the cold lake by the end of the tour. Our "one" was an older gentleman, 81 he felt the need to tell us. His first complaint was that it was cold. It was rather chilly, but everyone already knew it. He complained that he didn't know how he had been talked into it. (I know we were wishing he hadn't been.) And he complained about having to wait for the trolley to start.

He felt the need to sing along, quite loudly, with all the carols along the route and each time one of the workers along the route, frozen I'm sure from standing in the cold, shouted "Merry Christmas", he would reply with a "Baa, Humbug". After each scene, there was a short area of dark drive and each time we reached a new scene, he said "It's not over yet?" I truly wanted to throw him into the lake at the end when he asked if my girls had a good time.

And now for the obligatory knitting content: I'm nearly done with the second Christmas sock (but I'm on dial-up, so you'll have to wait for pictures) and I've made progress on the sweater. I've given my mother and aunt knitting lessons. My aunt is actually the one who taught me to knit on chopsticks when I was younger, but she has not knitted in years and my mother never knew how. They are progressing.

I should post in a couple of days the Mystery Christmas presents that I know you've been awaiting so anxiously. (I pre-loaded those pictures.)

3 Comments:

Blogger April Rescigno said...

Just because it's so amazing, here's the link to the Callaway Gardens Fantasy in Lights... We always went, and I remember the line of cars backed up through Warm Springs the one year.

11:18 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Glad you survived your evening with Ebeneezer Scrooge. Perhaps the ghost of Christmas future will do everyone a favor by paying him a visit soon. ;-) Can't wait to see the pics of your mystery Christmas gifts! I sure feel for you on the dial-up...I can't imagine life without high-speed access anymore. So spoiled! Take care!! :-)

5:36 PM  
Blogger LadyV said...

I endured a similar scene one holiday season...Needless-to-say, we drive through now. Glad you enjoyed it in spite of the commentary.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home