Friday, May 09, 2008

Spindling

I know, three posts in one week after posting just once a month for the past few months. Seriously, no heart attacks.

First of all, I found this "highly scientific *cough* caffeine test" on Stumbling Over Chaos. I scored 160 clicks without my morning tea. What does that say about me? That I'm too jittery or I just have quick reflexes?

I don't have any pictures today, just some thoughts on spindling. I've been thinking about spindling since Opal mentioned she's not much of a spindler (check out her latest entry to see how much not a spindler she is). I bought my very first spindle, a Golding, at my first Sheep and Wool back in 2005. I decided I loved spinning and had to have a wheel. I neglected my poor single spindle for a very long time. I don't know exactly what made me decide to pick spindling back up, maybe it's the beauty of the spindles, but I had to have more spindles. I bought more. Goldings and Bosworths. And I spun.

Spindling isn't quick, especially if, like me, you spin thread, but there is a beauty in it. There's the beauty of the spindles themselves, made by talented artisans, and there's the beauty of the different fibers. Then there's the feeling; I love the feel of spinning silk on a lightweight spindle. On a wheel, spinning often becomes about finishing the projects, not about just enjoying it. With spindles, you realize that it's going to be a while before anything is finished, so you might as well enjoy it for the action itself. There's also just a little bit of appreciation that I don't have to do this to keep myself and my family in clothing. It is a hobby and can be appreciated as such.

And if that's not enough, it's always enjoyable to watch people's reactions when you bring your spindling into public. Knitting most people have seen before; many can even tell you that you're knitting, a few can even tell what you're knitting. Most people could even tell what you're doing if you have a wheel. Stories of Rumpelstiltskin and Sleeping Beauty abound. Plus, many people have seen pictures of wheels in history books or have seen them in actual use in re-enactments. Period movies and shows like "Little House on the Prairie" often have spinning wheels. But spindling. Most people have no clue what you're doing. And even when you explain, I actually enjoy seeing their reaction - "Why would you want to do that?"

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Opal said...

I really did nearly have a heart attack when I saw you updated again! LOL

Yeah and I'm not a spindler. I just play one on TV. ;-) Seriously though, I love the reactions I get in Hawaii when I spindle in public. The looks people give me when I tell them I'm making yarn is priceless.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Itchy trigger finger, maybe. ;)

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes! For me, spindling is really all about the process. (And also about using a really gorgeous tool. Really, I got into spinning mainly because I wanted a reason to keep spindles in the house! It was way more about the tools than about the fiber.)

1:05 PM  
Blogger ClaireLeah said...

Very very scary - I scored 171 - and I don't drink coffee!!!

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home