Monday, April 16, 2007

Regia Silk Project Revealed

Quite a few have guessed that I'm making a tank with the pink Regia Silk. Nope, not a tank, or a very large sock. Here it is:

(You can click for quite a large close-up so you can see the details.)
I've been wary about making a skirt. I am, in fact, pretty wary about making clothing because of the fit issue. Lace scarves and shawls are easy. Gauge isn't really much of an issue - who cares if a shawl is an inch or two bigger or smaller? Socks are pretty small and I've made so many that I have it down to a science. Tanks I'm a little less wary of because they are pretty small as well. If you have to rip, oh well. But, a skirt on size 3s.

This skirt really captivated me since I saw it on the cover last year and I decided I wanted to make it. I didn't want to make it in 100% wool that it called for though. So I came across Regia Silk and saw how light and soft it is and fell in love. I even did a gauge swatch and got perfect gauge. (Are you impressed that I got gauge or actually did a swatch?) It's just very feminine and well, it's pink. I plan to line it because I think the lacy part is just a wee bit too bold for me, but I am in love with this skirt. I think my mojo is back in full force!

Isn't it funny how certain patterns just catch your attention and won't let go? How certain designers just design stuff seemingly just for you? I'm half-way done with my Shapely Tank and already nearly halfway done with the skirt, so I was looking for more tops to do for the summer (IF it ever gets here; with the chilly weather, I'm wondering where spring is). I went through all my old magazines and found that I kept choosing things by many of the same designers. It doesn't mean I like everything by a particular designer or that I won't make something by another designer, but I find I do tend to look twice at stuff by certain ones. Shirley Paden, Mari Lynn Patrick, Norah Gaughan, Veronik Avery are just a few that I seem to find myself choosing over and over again. Anyone else have a favorite designer or two?

By the way, who else has seen that our favorite pusher sock yarn store is going to be stocking laceweight as well? And right with Maryland S&W around the corner, too! My budget is SO shot for the next couple of months!

More Chicago picts tomorrow!

Labels:

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did see that The Loopy Ewe is going to start carrying laceweight. I am in so much trouble.

The skirt is so pretty. I really liked it when I saw it, but I had the same feelings as you about knitted skirts. How's the Regia silk knitting up?

9:05 AM  
Blogger Sarah-potterknitter said...

I had a good friend who really wanted to make that, so when my LYS got a sample I tried it on. I bet the silk will lighten it up just right. The wool one needed a drawstring, there was no way it was going to stay on even if it did fit me. I can't wait to see it.

9:55 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

ooh, the skirt looks really pretty so far. it's so delightfully pink.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I would never have guessed! It's looking great. Trying to think of designers that I always love and I'm coming up blank. It would probably become clear if I paged through my magazines!

10:46 AM  
Blogger bellamoden said...

Goooooorgeous! And the regia silk, inspired choice! I should buy some 6 ply and see how that works for me. I, too, want a skirt!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Oooo, that is a great marriage of pattern and yarn and I think you'll have a fantabulous skirt when youare done!

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A skirt! Oh you are brave. I don't have good legs so my skirts always have to be long (my roommate called me "chicken legs" in college)

But I have to say it is super cute. Really, really cute.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

How pretty! I wouldn't have guessed a skirt, but it is really looking great!

I don't have the kind of body that designers design for (bosc pear shape). I do tend to like more classic designs of sweater shapes (less fitted, but not baggy) as I am usually trying to give the illusion of more up top. Lately, I've been drawn to cables, especially the cable designs of Kathy Zimmerman. She uses some traditional cabling motifs in fresh, feminine ways. I do also like Norah Gaugahn, although many of her patterns I don't think would look good on me.

1:03 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

i love the look of knitted skirts. that one is going to be so pretty.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

That's going to be a darling skirt!

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that's really lovely! I think you made a great decision on what yarn to use. Can't wait to see the final product.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news Alison but I've hear Regia Silk pills horribly!

The skirt is just beautiful so I hope it works for you...maybe seach Knitter's Review for a review on the yarn?

8:34 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

I really like that pattern. Lovely! I, too, am nervous about skirts, but love the Indigo Ripples one from Interweave Knits. Maybe...

10:12 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Oh and I forgot to say that I gravitate toward Kate Gilbert and Stefanie Japel.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Prachi said...

Wow this Regia silk looks gorgeous! I must try some sometime, the pink is just right for springtime.
For me and designers, it's Norah Gaughan all the way!

11:31 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Ooh, that skirt is beautiful! tha't going to be great! Thanks for the heads up on the Loopy Ewe too, I do love laceweight!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Oh how funny! I bought that same issue just for the skirt too. I actually took it out about 2 weeks ago with the intention of finding yarn to knit it. Now that I see you're using regia silk I think it's a great idea. I have only two balls of regia silk in pink so I don't know if I could use it, but I love how yours is turning out. Oh no, now I need some more regia.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Pugknits said...

It's looking real sweet, Alison!

4:50 PM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

That is going to be so beautiful when it's finished. The silky yarn is going to make it so radiant. Of course, I love pink, too. I'm a pushover for pink.

7:08 PM  
Blogger bellamoden said...

How many balls did you end up using for your skirt if I may ask? Not that, uh, I plan to knit this or anything. Uh huh. ;) because that choice of regia silk? Inspired!

4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home