Wednesday, April 18, 2007

More Chicago

I know I promised more Chicago picts yesterday, but I'm a bit behind. A lot of the pictures are actually going to be links to The Chicago Art Institute because their pictures are so much better than what I could take, even with my decent camera and the Institute has tons of the famous paintings that you always see everywhere - American Gothic, The Child's Bath, Nighthawks, and one of my favorites, Renoir's Two Sisters.

Also at the Institute were these. So, click on the link. I'll wait. You can click to enlarge. Are those not the coolest things? Do they not look like real-sized rooms? Sixty-eight miniature rooms in 1/12th scale (which means one inch of the miniature equals one foot of the real-life equivalent). As much as I loved just about everything else we saw in Chicago, I really loved these miniatures. One of my many interests are miniatures and seeing these at the Art Institute really inspired me to get my basement cleaned and organized so I can have a studio down there to work on some miniature projects. Let me tell you, it's a big undertaking, but I'm going to do it!

Now this picture was taken from atop the Sears Tower.

The big white building in the center is the Shedd Aquarium and the domed building in the upper left is the Adler Planetarium.

As for the skirt, I'm nearly done with the front (or back as you wish, it's the very same thing. I still have to make another one.) I was going to probably finish up my tank after I finish the first half of the skirt, then come back to the skirt and finish it and hope it's actually warm enough to wear my new stuff by then. I also have something else planned; I ordered the yarn from Webs on Monday. I'll tell you about it as soon as the yarn gets here.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I love that picture - so blue and sunny! Those rooms are amazing.

Hee hee - you are so mysterious with the knitting these days!

12:09 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Sounds like you had a really marvelous time in Chicago. And you really are mysterious with the knitting these days! It's keeping me intrigued though. :-)

3:26 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

The miniature rooms are wonderful! I remember seeing a huge doll castle at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry when I was a kid. It was really cool.

Glad you had a great trip!

Curious to hear about the new project!

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh webs- I just ordered an unseemly amount of Cascade 220 from them for several sweaters. Every year the Webs sale makes a big dent in my wallet....

6:46 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

i love your skirt!

as a child i LOVED the thorne rooms. and my dad had a sailboat in the marina just to the right of the shedd aquarium!

thanks for the memory :-)

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home