Monday, December 04, 2006

The Tourist Thing

Thank you everyone for all the lovely comments on the shawl! The holiday party was Saturday and we went and had a lovely time. It was my first really fancy party and it was just fun seeing everyone all dressed up. The shawl was just perfect to keep me warm as it got a bit chilly at times. As for the dress, none of the picture from the party really show it off well (a shame), so I'll have to put it back on sometime this week with the shawl and get some pictures of the whole ensemble.

As for knitting, I really haven't been doing a great deal of it. Nothing has really inspired me. I've been sort of working on the entrelac socks, sort of on the second snowman vest, but can't really get to work on anything. I do have some yarn finally coming for the Hidcote Shawl, so maybe that will inspire.

Anyway, we did the tourist thing yesterday with the parents who are in town. I've lived in the area for about four years and this was the first time we've been to the Lincoln Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial. We fought the chilly weather (about 45 with wind) and whiny kids (they were mostly good, but you really can't park anywhere near the memorials these days; it's hard on little legs) and saw the monuments.
So here's Abe:

He's actually quite impressive. You always see pictures of the statue, but it is really quite impressive in real life.
And Jefferson:


I couldn't get a decent picture of Jefferson because the light was behind the statue. And for some reason, I forgot my sock to take a picture with the famous presidents. It was in the car, but I didn't think about it until we were at Jefferson's and I wasn't about to walk all the way back to the car for the sock. Sorry to disappoint:)

I have my monthly guild meeting tonight. I honestly haven't decided whether or not to take the shawl or wait until next month. I feel like an overachiever sometimes. It brings me back to the Yarn Harlot's point a few weeks ago about undervaluing our work as knitters. Why should I feel like an overachiever if I'm good at knitting, especially with other knitters? But I do feel like that at my guild meeting sometimes.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get back to work, eh?

8:39 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

You should be proud of your accomplishment with the shawl. I would think your guild would be happy about your success, too!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Show off your shawl!! :)

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring the shawl to the meeting. Don't think of it as showing off, think of it as inspiring someone. Some of the amazing things that I have knit I would never have even tried if it hadn't been for someone inspiring me.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

9:29 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

I vote for taking the shawl too. I do understand because I feel the same way too. Sometimes I think other think I have WAY too much time on my hands when the truth is, I just choose to use the time I have wisely! So, go and show off your shawl proudly. You may indeed inspire someone else.
dswaite@mac.com

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take the shawl! Show it off!

Ahh the memorials- the lincoln one might be my favorite- although I also have fond memories of sitting in the shadow of the Washington obolisk one very hot and humid July 4th to watch live fireworks with a million other people..

10:37 AM  
Blogger Pugknits said...

This is your gift, your passion, and what gives you joy. Every stitch, the choice of yarn, the choice of color, the choice of pattern is a self-expression. Celebrate your talent and your accomplishments, it's your well-deserved bragging right!!((hugs)) :)

12:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I want to see the shawl!!! You MUST bring it with you tonight!!!! I have my Petticoat Shawl (from Goddess Knits) all finished and blocked to show off.

I know some in the guild think you and I both have too much time on our hands, since we seem to finish a lot of projects. Maybe I do, but I also pick up a project any time I'm sitting still (even while waiting for my food in restaurants). I put a high priority on spending "wasted" time to do something I really enjoy.

Again, bring the shawl, if only for me! (it's all about me, your compatriot in lace insanity)

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRING THE SHAWL!!!

Really, we're just envious of the beauty you and Ariadne's Thread produce, and want to produce ourselves. And impressed with what you do accomplish, knowing there are kids or jobs also in your lives.

I guess I need to give up sleep, because I knit much of the rest of the time, and still don't get as much done as you guys do!

I love to see your work. It is beautiful, and I get to decide if I want to put that project on my to-do list one day.

Jan

3:30 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Oh I hope you take the shawl. Show it off and bask in adulation. *grin*

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home