Friday, February 24, 2006

C'est finis!

I think that's right. It's been a while since I took French. Anyway, here it is being modeled by the lovely Lily Brown Bear.

The specs:
Clapotis from Knitty
Yarn: Laceweight Peppermint Stick from The Fiber Denn, less than 880 yards. (I'll measure the yarn I have left, but if I had to guess, probably about 80 yards are left over.)
Changes: The pattern calls for worsted weight, but works really well with laceweight. (EDIT: I also used a smaller needle - a size 5 instead of the size 8 called for.) I simply added more repeats until it was about the width I wanted and I knit until to the length I wanted and started the decreases. It has a nice drape. I might lightly block it at some point, but it seems fine as is right now. I'm very happy with the way it highlights the handpainted yarn.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! It's gorgeous! I love the color you chose also, very pretty!
I like your version best, it's more wearable if you don't like shawls.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Gorgeous!! I was wondering about using laceweight for it... and now I know.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

very pretty! i love it!

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it!!!! I'm looking for the right now for mine. Do you recommend laceweight? That color is so pretty.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great, the bear looks mighty warm!

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I really like the way it looks in laceweight, with the narrower drop stitch columns.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Soooo pretty! Great yarn choice, great spokesmodel :)

4:29 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your Clapotis is GORGEOUS!!! That handpainted colorway is so beautiful and really works well with the pattern. I'm so happy to see your laceweight Clapotis... now I have the confidence to tackle one later in laceweight, too. Thanks for the tip on needle sizes... beautiful, beautiful job! Take care and have a great weekend, Alison! :-)

4:49 PM  
Blogger Prachi said...

Lovely! You've actually persuaded me to use the laceweight handpainted I got sometime back for this pattern. the colour is so soft and gorgeous.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks really nice- and I bet it must be nice and lightweight too- my Clapotis was knit in heavy-worsted wool, so its very heavy and warm...

9:58 PM  
Blogger LadyV said...

Lovely!

The model is a sweetie...I love teddy bears :-)

5:14 PM  
Blogger Pugknits said...

it is so lovely! and the model makes it look so much sweeter.

*hugs*

1:57 PM  
Blogger Octopus Knits said...

Very nice -- I love your clapotis in laceweight! Gorgeous color(s)! Thanks for mentioning it to me.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home