Monday, December 12, 2005

Christmas Socks

Now there are two.

One of the Fair Isle patterns from Sensational Knitted Socks using size 1 dpns and Knit Picks Essential yarn in Pine and Burgundy. I'm not so happy with the short row heel. I just don't think it fits my foot as well as a heel flap, so I will probably avoid it at all costs in the future. And here is another sock started for the Sensational Socks KAL. How cool is this pattern?

Knitpicks Essential in Black and Sock Landscape in Rocky Mountain Dusk.

And here is a bit of knitting that my mother did.

Look at the nice even stitches. And this is my aunt's.

I had her try a bit of lace since she already knew how to knit. She didn't care too much for it, so she went back to stockinette. Both my mom and aunt complained about the small needles (size 6). The size 7's I'm using on my sweater seem huge to me.

Rebekah asked in the comments on my last post "How long did each take you to knit?" My answer: I started at the beginning of September and did one a month. I figured out the absolute minimum I had to do each day in order to finish each in a month giving my self about a week and a half leeway. So I didn't knit on them every day and most days just did the minimum. Slow and steady. Don't know how I kept the discipline.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kara said...

Have you tried the eye of the partridge heel? It's become my favorite. I discovered it in the Dublin Bay sock pattern -- http://www.nwkniterati.com/movabletype/archives/MossyCottage/DublinBay4.pdf
I've been adapting it for all my heels. (it's really easy, you just stagger the slips and knits by one stitch)

6:33 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Gorgeous socks! I don't like short row heels either. I haven't experimented with many heels, but the heel flap seems to work well. After seeing all the socks from Sensational Socks, I may have to break my knitting book fast.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the socks! I really like the red and green combination.

I haven't tried any other heel apart from the standard heel flap, and I really need to diversify.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the socks, so very cute. I'm not a fan of the short-row heel myself, i prefer my heel flap. But I get set in my ways easily when I find something that I like.

11:14 AM  
Blogger April Rescigno said...

Hee... you should try felting. Try knitting with size 15 needles! It's like working with drum sticks.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

The Christmas socks are gorgeous! And your knitting is so perfect!

I think you're unhappy wih the short row heels cause they are too shallow and don't cup your heels like a flap heel does.

I've been experimenting with this because I like how the SR heel looks and fits if done right so I "unvented" a SR heel with some extra length and a little gusset for a better fit. If youre interested I can share the "formula" :)

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home