Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Okay, Madli, you win.

Okay, Madli, I give up. I admit defeat. I can tell that for some reason you do not want to be made by me at this time. Is it the yarn? Because I thought you'd look lovely in it, a lavender silk with specks of pink and blue. But I have now started you three times and I can't seem to get past the border without a glaring error that I can't figure out how to fix. Twice I've ripped you out and restarted. And this last time I was so careful. The nupps looked nice and I thought I was going to make it. Until I got to the last row of the border and figured out that once again I had messed up. I could just leave the mistake and unless they looked really, really close, no one would ever know except me. But perfectionist that I am (see number 4 from my previous entry), I just can't do that. I could probably fix it if I really tried and I might try to fix it at a later date. But for now, I accept that you do not want to be a shawl for me.

4 Comments:

Blogger LadyV said...

Oh, don't give up....Take a little break and re-visit it later. This might not be the right "time" for this project.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Anne Owen said...

Thanks for the compliment about the Faux Russian Shawl -- I hope you'll like knitting it!!! PS I have a question - how do you make the links to your finished projects on your blog side-bar. I know how to link websites. But I like the way you do your projects..
Anne
aowen AT sunflower.com

4:26 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Madli has also been my waterloo. I stopped it also because of the very reason you did. I still have the pattern, because I love it, but it must now stay dormant for a while before I take on the challenge again.

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same frustrations. I spent days on the stupid thing. Then I did several things to bring about victory.

1. I decided to do a sample using chart only - the two sides and the single repeat;
2. dropped the stitch markers because that only confused things; 3. for the sample I didn't do the nupps;
4. and lastly, I stopped trying to outthink the pattern and just trust it (after going to the magazine's correction page - to be sure!) That was the hardest!

It worked. If you decide to try again - I hope this helps. Beth M.

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home