Friday, July 15, 2005

Never-ending shawl has ended

Most of the time, I find a shawl pattern that I want to do, then I find the yarn, but occasionally I find the yarn first. This was one of those occasions. I had ordered two cones of yarn from WEBS and they called me because one of the colors I chose was out. They asked if there was another one I might like. I chose the "teal" just because. I've never really been able to tell much from their website pictures, so I've just ordered and hoped for the best. I fell in love with this color the moment I saw it. It's actually more turquoise than teal. (Turquoise is more blue than green; teal is more green than blue.) It is a wool/silk blend and it is a heavier laceweight. I did not have a shawl pattern for it. I looked through all my books and magazines and couldn't find anything. I wanted something not too fancy, just simple just to show off the color. Then my copy of Gathering of Lace came. What a wonderful book! Totally worth every penny. And there was the Shaped Triangle. Simple, yet elegant. And here are closeups. The pictures really don't do the yarn justice. The deep turquoise color has little flecks of blue and violet which the pictures just can't capture.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely. What an accomplishment! What type/weight yarn is it?

8:35 AM  
Blogger LadyV said...

What a pretty shawl. I was just this morning looking through my copy of A Gathering of Lace. I had tagged the Faux Russian Shawl on my first browse through the book, but this morning I'm thinking the triangle shawl might be a better one for me to start with. So many beautiful lace projects, it's difficult to choose.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

I corrected my original post so that it now has the type of yarn used. This shawl really does have a nice drape. The Faux Russian is beautiful as well. The only problem with GOL is which project to do next! I think Frost Flowers is next for me from this book. Maybe.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Pugknits said...

Pretty beyond words, alison!I'm speechless.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It turned out beautiful. When are you making me one.
Mom

1:08 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

I look at teal and turquoise opposite of what you do, I guess. I'd say your shawl is teal. But no matter, it's yours and it's gorgeous!! Love it.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really is lovely. Nice job.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats really pretty,I love the colour you choose
cara
earth mother

10:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Really beautiful. I do love that shawl, and you have done a superb job. I must get a copy of that book.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Laura.Y said...

Great looking shawl. I was contemplating that book. Now I'm really waiting for it..:)

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a stunning shawl!! Fabulous job!

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is lovely! I have just started to learn to knit - hopefully I can learn to do something that fancy someday! I am still on scarfs right now. :)

3:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty! I have yet to try lace knitting, but this is quite inspiring.

12:18 AM  
Blogger Jessamyn said...

Ooooh! Pretty! I just finished this same shawl. It really was the never ending shawl, but the results are so totally worth it. Congratulations!

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. I'm glad Bonne Marie pointed me in your direction.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your shawl is beautiful! I love the colour. I started this one myself, but have put it on hold for the Faux Russian Stole.
You should post a picture of you wearing teh shaped triangle shawl (without your head showing if you like)! I really want to see how well it goes over someone's shoulders; it says it's 87 inches, but does it stay on well over both shoulders?

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should be proud of your beautiful knitting.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home