Thursday, November 05, 2009

Do Not Adjust Your Monitor

The color change for the center short-row section of the strap seems rather, um, abrupt, don't you think?

The pictures of the finished bag on Knitpicks seem to bring all the colors together though, so I'm going to continue on.

As you can see I'm a bit past where I was when I had to frog and now getting spot-on gauge (yay!), so I made the right decision, and it's moving right along. Colorwork in short rows is interesting. For those of you not familiar with the bag, the strap is a circle and the bottom of the circle becomes the bottom of the bag. It is a bit bigger at the bottom due to the insertion of a short-row section. Now this means that you have to turn the colorwork and purl across the row. Since I'm a continental knitter and sometimes have trouble with purl row tension anyway, I'm not about to attempt purling two strands. I taught myself how to knit backwards several years ago for an entrelac bag I did (see my tutorial here), and that's what I'm doing for the purl row of the colorwork. Though it goes a little slower than the regular knit rows, I think my tension is staying fairly consistent and I hope to get the hang of it as I progress.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

So. Bright. :)

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

Wow this is quite the color change. but as you say, their pictures look good so I'm sure in the end it'll all come together.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous AlisonH said...

Colors, like people, are affected by the ones around them. Context is everything.

That said, that's quite a jump, but definitely one to make eyes pay attention to all the work in that bag when it's done. It'll work.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

what chris said. bright. :)

fingers crossed that it'll all come together!

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home