Thursday, September 08, 2005

Madli revisited

A mere three weeks ago, I gave up on Madli. I decided the shawl just wasn't for me. Then I saw how beautiful Jody's was and I knew I had to retry. I couldn't let myself be beaten by a pattern. I started thinking that maybe it was the yarn. It's a nice yarn, but I just wasn't enjoying working with it for this pattern. The nupps just didn't look right. I kept making stupid little mistakes that I shouldn't have made. I couldn't make it past the border without having to rip it all out again. I ordered some lovely Shadow yarn from Knit Picks and it's been sitting in the box for a couple of weeks. I saw Dorothy's progress and decided it was time to try again. Here she is in Jewels.

I got it right the first time. I'm past the border and well into the first pattern repeat. I ask you, why was I having so much trouble with this pattern again? It's wonderful (as are all Nancy Bush's patterns)! Of course, note the pink lifeline at the border, just in case.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks beautiful so far. Its going to be lovely.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep plugging away - I commiserate deeply with your Madli woes (as you know since I came here from a comment saying as much on my blog)but I believe we will both be rewarded in the end with a beautiful lace creation. Finally I am beginning to "grok" this pattern a little better and just finished my third pattern repeat. I really should put in a life line before proceeding but haven't bothered yet - I hope I can avoid anymore stupid mistakes until I get around to it. Love the color by the way!

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that yarn. I adore tweediness and it looks great for Madli. The nupps pop and that's a good thing. Glad it's working out better with the new yarn!

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alianne - it's beautiful! I'm glad I could be part of your inspiration to start again. I love that color. I'm a big fan of Knit Picks yarn but haven't tried that one yet. The color is lovely. I'll be keeping up on your progress. Dorothy (Missouri Star)

11:09 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

That's a funny thing with lace. Sometimes it clicks and sometimes it doesn't, without any rhyme or reason. I'm glad Madli's working for you now. I'd love to hear more about what you think of the yarn. I was going to order a color card.

11:40 AM  
Blogger LadyV said...

Glad to see you picked up Madli again...I knew you could do it and it's looking good!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Stasia said...

YAY! Good for you - it's looking lovely! What do you think it was about the other yarn that made it not work for you? Not as "defined", too fuzzy?

1:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home